Basketball is a sport loved by millions and played all over the globe. To some it is an obsession. To make fans cheer, you have to be good at what you do. Every person of the team must contribute to the game. Here are some tips to guide you along the way and to help you be a part of a winning team.
- When you dribble, look forward, keeping your head up. Anyone who watching the ball while they dribble surely needs to spend more time in the gym practicing. Always have a basketball handy. Dribble the ball as you go about your day doing errands like walking the dog. If you have to watch the ball, you will be unable to see whatever is going on at court level.
- When using the ball a lot, you must relearn a crossover. A crossover happens when you switch hands the ball is in. It has to be done fast to be effective. If done correctly, a good crossover helps you get past your opponent and to the rim.
- Learn how to throw a proper bounce pass. In order for a bounce pass to be sufficient, the person should receive the ball around their waist. A useful tip is to have the ball bounce roughly 3/4 of the distance to the recipient. Many other factors will affect it, too.
- Don’t pump too much iron if you plan on being a jump shooter. Being weighed down by too much bulky muscle can have a negative impact on your jump shot. Many guards in the pros have developed their arm muscles too big, which has really harmed their shooting percentage.
- Would you like to learn how to fool your opponent? Give the back pass a try! Use the dominant hand to hold onto the basketball when trying this pass. The next step is to draw the ball behind you. Finally, flick your wrist towards the direction in which you wish that ball to travel. This will confuse the other team into wondering where the ball went.
- One good way to always be ready for whatever happens on the court is to never turn your back on the ball. This can help you to avoid surprises by fast passes, help you keep an eye on the rest of the court, and allow you to spot potential turnovers. You will want to keep extra attention on areas that could improve your position as well.
- Quickness is a key skill in basketball. You will have the advantage over your opponents if you can really play fast. Steady drilling will help speed up your play. Avoid playing faster than your abilities allow. Playing beyond your speed can result in bad passes and excessive turnovers.
- To get better at shooting free throws, make sure to keep a consistent pre-shot routine. For example, you might tug your ear, dribble three times, or flex your wrists. Following the same routine gives your body will maintain muscle memory for more consistent free throw shooting.
- Get into a consistent routine to improve your free throw shots. If you’re not consistent you’ll find yourself missing free throws. You should work on your free throw techniques as much as possible until they become a second nature. You will probably miss your shot if the routine you use is not perfect.
There are many ways you can improve your basketball game. When each individual plays well, the team has a better chance at success. Many people have a part in basketball, even if they are just cheering in the crowd. Bringing forth your best game is your contribution to the fun of basketball. So be sure to keep what you’ve read in mind so you’re able to be the player on the team that everyone enjoys to have around.