Many people enjoy watching basketball and supporting their favorite team. In order to keep fans happy, give them a reason to cheer. Every person of the team must contribute to the game. These suggestions will help you to improve your ball playing skills.
- You must learn how to dribble, how a crossover is done and other important ball handling skills. This move entails transferring the basketball from your left hand to your right hand and back again. You need to perform crossovers very quickly to get good results. By having the ability to move either way quickly, you will become a better all-around player.
- Start out with proper balance before attempting to take a shot. You have seen some crazy shots made by professionals, but these shots aren’t going to be based on fundamentals. This kind of improvisation is the result of years of practice and loads of ability. Consider proper balance when you shoot, and eventually you’ll consistently make baskets.
- Make sure to practice catching passes. When practicing make sure you drill yourself to catch errant throws as well as picture perfect passes. During the course of a game, you can expect there to be many errant passes. Learn how to catch any sort of throw.
- You may have better luck honing your passing skills if you forgo dribbling during practice. It is quite challenging to play the game without dribbling, but it does make sure you and your teammates make accurate passes. This is very challenging at first, but eventually it will really improve your entire team’s passing game.
- Before, during and after the season, play out games by yourself. Basketball is a multiple player sport, but other people won’t always be around. There is nothing wrong with that. You can accomplish a lot by practicing alone. Maybe work on those free throws or practice your pivoting. Additionally, you can practice vertical jumping and dribbling.
- Make better passes through the use of coordinated hand signals. Oftentimes frustration occurs when trying you aren’t on the same page with a teammate who cuts to the basketball when you try to pass him the ball. Avoid this using hand signals to see if they can get the pass. Without a signal, the ball controller shouldn’t make a pass.
- Being able to anticipate your opponent is a key skill. Watch taped games, and keep current with scouting reports. For example, you should know which of the players are left-handed and which are right-handed. This knowledge will help you play the best game possible. When you are prepared, you play better defense.
- Be aware of what your feet are doing and where they are. If you have the ball and you step outside the baseline, then you’re out of bounds. Also, you can cause a turnover if you walk without dribbling the ball. Moving either of your feet when setting a pick, screen, or even take a charge will result in a foul.
- Learn how to dribble and pass between your legs in case you are being guarded very tightly. Bounce the ball very hard through your legs while stepping to the front or the back. Mastering this skill will provide you with a major advantage on the court.
This article has shown you that you can improve your basketball game through many methods. Improved players lead to improved teams and eventually happier fans. There is a part for everyone in basketball, from the players on the court to the fans in the stands. As a player, your part is the give the team all the help you can. Therefore, keep this information in mind, and be a player everyone loves having on their team.