Improve Your Basketball Skills By Using These Techniques!
Basketball is one of the most popular sports around. From watching the NBA to playing, it’s so much fun to participate in. If you enjoy playing, imagine how much more fun it would be if you were a better player. Read these ideas to help move your game up a notch. A sport played well is more fun than one you struggle with.
- Practice your defense more than your offense. Basketball games are won more often by defense than offense. Offense is flashier, so it draws the attention of fans and journalists, but a team that can’t defend well won’t win any games.
- To be a better basketball player you should concentrate on the things that make you great. If you can rely on your strengths, you will become a better player. Understand where you excel, and work on those talents until they are perfected.
- You want to be prepared for any type of defense the other team plays. A lot of the game is sure to be played in the zone, but your opponent could change to man-to-man coverage. If your practice hasn’t included this type of scenario, you might lose control rapidly.
- To properly handle the ball, you have to spread your fingers out. This will keep the ball from getting away while you hold it. Additionally, the palm of your hand should not come into contact with the ball. Don’t let anything but your fingers touch the ball during passing or shooting.
- Play a good defense by knowing your opponent. Watch tapes of their games and see how others move on the court. One simple thing to know before the game is if your opponent shoots with their right or left hand. Once you start to get to know the other team, you can do a lot better when you’re on defense. A defender with an education will be good at what they do.
- Watch your shoulders if you obtain a shooting slump. When your shoulders are positioned improperly, you will never make the basket regardless of how good your abilities are. Keep your shoulders square in line with the basket. The shoulder that’s dominant needs to be lined up with the rim perfectly.
- It’s important to know where you have your feet and also what they’re doing. This can help you avoid going out of bounds or making a bad pass. More than three steps will cause you to get called for travelling. Also, moving either foot when trying to set a screen, pick or take a charge results in a foul call.
- Making a pass from between your legs is sometimes a good option when the opposing team is right on top of you. Step forward and back while dribbling the ball between your legs hard. Mastering this skill will provide you with a major advantage on the court.
- In order to do the best you can with layups, you’ll want to take off with the foot that is opposite of your shooting hand. This will allow you to shoot with your comfortable hand. This will allow you to be more balanced while moving closer to the basket while keeping your body between the defender and you.
Clearly, there are quite a few ways to help yourself play a better game. Most of them are just basically learning a particular technique, then practicing that technique until you can do it in your sleep. Practice makes perfect, and basketball is no exception. So get a hoop and start practicing whenever you can. Whether it is practice with your team, playing a pickup game with friends or even just playing with younger players for fun, it all adds up to better skills and sharing the love of basketball.