The game of hoops was created by Dr. James Naismith, way back in 1891. Since that time, it has grown into a sport beloved by many people. Whether it is Dr. J. Many basketball players enjoy a celebrity status, thanks to their skills. Read on to learn from the successes of some of the greats.
- If you want to take jump shots, don’t build your arms up too large. It’s important to be strong, but not too strong. As a shooting guard, having bulky arm muscles can actually reduce the number of successful shots.
- If you have a child that is strength training for basketball, their core muscles should be properly developed. That means their hips, lower back and abs. The core links together all of the extremities and if it isn’t strong, they will be dealing with a limited athletic ability. A strong and solid core allows force that is generated via the legs to be used for helpful movements during the game like higher jumps and faster running.
- Have your team mates critique your playing skills. What are your your best skill areas? Perhaps they see you as someone who is fast on the court, or that you’re a really good teammate. Find out what others perceive as your natural gifts and build upon those more completely.
- Do your free throw shooting the same way every time. For example, you might tug your ear, dribble three times, or flex your wrists. Keep it simple and consistent, and the routine will become a part of your muscle memory.
- Practice looking in the opposite direction when you make a pass. This may confuse your opponents, greatly. When done right, the look draws your opponents to the wrong locale so that the person you passed to has a good long look at the basket before shooting. It can be quite powerful.
- In order to ensure that you are always ready to defend, keep your stance at all times. Slide your feet to and fro or use your opposing foot to push off to maintain your position. Don’t allow your feet to cross and opposing players will have difficulty getting around you.
- Alter your pace to confuse the opposition. Plant a foot and start to straighten your body. This will cause the guard to believe you are slowing, and it will also cause them to straighten up. Push forward and blast by them.
- Keep low when you play defense. This will help you be quicker on the jump and react to the man in front of you easier. Always maintain a defensive position during game play. You may have to break your stance if you must block a shot, but return as fast as you can.
- Work on your 3 point shot by shooting from the established NBA distance. All other distance lines, high school, college and International, are not as far. If you make your shots from where the NBA players shoot, you will improve your skills and increase your range.
- In order to better your shooting skills, you must practice shooting hundreds of times each day from various position on the court. To improve even more, practice preparing for a shot quickly after dribbling the ball. Only lift your head up to check out the target once you are in the air. This can help you simulate the conditions of the game and also helps you improve accuracy.
All you need is a hoop that is 10 feet high, a long court and ten team members to make a team. You must have a powerful knowledge base if you wish to play ball well. The above article is an excellent beginning. So, practice and keep learning to become a master.